Wednesday, April 27, 2011

When is the best time to tweet your blog post?

I got thinking today about the fact that many people read blog posts because they pick them up in their Twitter feed, and there seems to have been a shift away from RSS readers.
So if you write a blog post, what is the best way to let people know about it? If you tweet it, there's a good chance that many of your followers are not online at that point in time. If you keep tweeting it, do you run the risk of over-doing it?


I figured there must be some sort of netiquette for this sort of thing, so I googled it. I came across this post which asks exactly that: "How many times should you tweet your blog post?" They quote @GuyKawasaki who suggests tweeting four times, eight hours apart. Among the reasons are the fact that your followers live in different timezones, and, as mentioned above, they are not always online anyway.


Then I wondered, are there any particular times of the day when tweets are most read? Surely someone has asked this question before. Sure enough, googling this question got me 164,000,000 hits! I came across @danzarrella the 'Social Media Scientist' who suggests tweeting late in the day and late in the week for the highest click-through rates.


Malcolm Cole did some research concluding that 4:01pm is the best time to tweet if you want to be noticed. The Social Media Guide, on the other hand, recommends 9am Pacific Standard Time, because it works well in three other timezones in the USA and UK. Unfortunately that corresponds to 4am here in New Zealand, and at that time I usually have better things to do than tweet.


So what is the upshot of all this? 
  • It's ok to tweet about your blog post more than once, to give people a chance to see it. Maybe four times over two days?
  • Afternoons and evenings might be best, especially nearer the end of the week - but you can't please every timezone.
  • Obsessing over this kind of thing means one's life is a little out of balance!
Tweet freely for others and blog freely for yourself - can't go wrong.

2 comments:

  1. I've had similar questions, yet in this age of technology I didn't even think of turning to my friend Google. So it was nice to read that I'm not the only one that wonders these things. Well done on asking the important questions :D.
    Cheers
    Nathaniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Nathaniel. I wonder what cultural norms have to do with it as well. I've tweeted about this post three times now, and already think I'll leave it at that. Do I feel uncomfortable multiple-tweeting because NZers generally don't like putting themselves out there?

    Anyway, glad I'm not alone in my ponderings!

    ReplyDelete